Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol

directed by Brad Bird (2011)

150 million dollars to produce this high tech spyjinx, globetrotting thang. It's made $235 million so far and I feel bad that my ticket will contribute to its gross profit because that means I support more of these stupid action flicks being made.

 



How many inneresting stories could be made with that same amount of labour and money? I dunno. It was fun, but it was boring too. It's a great travelogue with spectacular stunts but who fucking buys the redonkulous superhero theatrics as anything approaching realism? I know it's a comic book story, and I guess I'm pretty much complaining about fast food cinema being fast food cinema. Still I can't help but be disappointed at the crap level of mindlessness and apolitical cynicism in these kinda flicks.

Vancouver subbed for Seattle and was the studio site of the green screen and indoor shoots I'm guessing. I recognised a couple spaces.

I wasn't planning on watching this one, I haven't even watched the previous 3, but the Oakridge Theatre is closing down and I wanted to see summat there one more time. It was this, Sherlock Holmes again or The Chipmunk Christmas flick. I'm glad there was something I didn't mind seeing though, because it was nice saying goodbye to the balcony seats.

No comments: