Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas - 3D




directed by Todd Strauss-Schulson (2011)

It was amusing, especially considering I no longer fall within the target stoner demographic and I wasn't high. Stoners are pretty easy to entertain and I bet the 3D would have been that much more impressive for those that partook before hand. There's one section that's essentially a commercial for the technology. Step right up and getchur 3D TVs folks!

Aside from the running gag with the baby accidentally getting messed up on various drugs, it was chock full of decent fambly values. I liked Elias Koteas as the Russian gangster boss, but none of the other characters stood out much.  Oh yeah Patton Oswalt was funny, but he was barely in it.  I thought I'd like Danny Trejo's character more, but ehn, ethnic stereotypes kinda irk me. Actually, this flick is full of that kinda shtick, so I tried not to notice all the irksome bits. I couldn't help it though, because even though I was deliberately grading this flick on a curve for obnoxiousness, there were quite a few irksome bits related to sexuality that I didn't like. The bit with the guy wanting to get with the slutty virgin who couldn't get any was bleagh, also I didn't like Harold's replacement best friend who got stuck in the closet - was that some kind of joke about him being closeted? And I really disliked the continued use of the pathetic "star" cameo character - Neal Patrick Harris as Neal Patrick Harris and, you know what? He's not gay, that's just a ploy so he can manipulate his way into getting women to trust him so he can make super sleazy moves on them because he's just that fucking horny and unethical. These scenes making light of the dynamic of sexual assault were gross and off putting. Rape is not very funny, neither is lying about rape, but that was another scene and I don't want to go break down what all was messed up about that one. I guess I'll just end my criticism of this flick's sexual offences with this: sexuality issues can be amusing, but it's pretty easy to cross the line into offensive and insensitive.



No comments: