Sunday, February 05, 2012

Das Boot





directed by Wolfgang Petersen (1981)

This is the 4:33 director's cut, and holy shit but this is a long movie, already in the start I was thinking, well this scene is completely unnecessary.  I guess it's character development.  I'm thinking particularly of the debauchery at the officer's club.  Sailors gonna drink eh?  Especially with a 1 in 4 chance of coming out alive?  Jesus Christ those are bad odds.  I'd make sure and get my party on too.

Actually it's the 3:28 directors cut.  I was thinking near what seemed like was gonna be the climax, there's another 1:30 to go?  So I checked out the running times and there are FIVE different versions of the movie, ranging from 2:20 to a 6 hour miniseries.  The DVR recorded another show at the end of the movie, which is why I was all confuzzled.

  • 150 minutes (1981, 1982) Theatrical
  • 209 minutes (1981) unreleased
  • 300 minutes (1984, 1988) BBC mini-series
  • 293 minutes (2004) Das Boot: The Original Uncut Version
  • 208 minutes (1997, 2010) Director's Cut

It's refreshing seeing a military centred flick that isn't outright propaganda for the military.  This isn't jingoistic or glorifying of military life.  It looks rough and barbaric in the sub, with men living on top of each other.  They'd sure be close, everyone aware of how much they depend on one  another.  There's no every man for himself in a sub, they'd all die together, one fate.

Lothar G. Buchheim, the writer of the novel, was upset that the film sacrificed realism for action melodrama, also that it was too glorifying of the U-boat war heroes.  I think his book must have been very antiwar, since I felt it was condemning of the idiocy of armed conflict, but then I bring that attitude and belief along to every war flick I see.  I thought it was life affirming and moral to see a film that depicted the ugliness of wasted resources, manpower, all this effort exerted towards what?  Killing and death and destruction?  Madness!!!

The best part is when the Captain is saying I'm sorry to the journalist.  They're in a tight spot and things look grim.

Lt. Werner: Captain?
Captain: I'm sorry.
Lt. Werner: You think it's hopeless now?
Captain: It's been 15 hours. He'll never do it. I'm sorry.
Lt. Werner: They made us all train for this day. "To be fearless and proud and alone. To need no one, just sacrifice. All for the Fatherland." Oh God, all just empty words. It's not the way they said it was, is it? I just want someone to be with. The only thing I feel is afraid.

I enjoyed it, and I usually don't care much for war flicks, this one is exceptional though.  It's completely understandable how many awards it won.  And Jürgen Prochnow?!!  Whatta man, whatta man, what a mighty good man.  ;) 





My only complaint is very minor.  I didn't like the dubbed voice of the redheaded codesman.  He was all squashed and strangled sounding.  It might have added some to the funny though, since he's the comic relief, cracking wise with cynical aphorisms.  Incidentally, the movie was shot silent because the sub was so noisy.  They could have got anyone to do the voices.  I'm glad Prochnow did his English lines too.













No comments: