Thursday, February 09, 2012

The World's Fastest Indian



directed by Roger Donaldson (2005)

When I first heard about this movie, I thought it was about a neechi sprinter who done good.  It's not though;  the Indian in question is a fucking motorcyle, not a fast person.  Anthony Hopkins is the motorcycle owner.  He plays Burt Munro, a New Zealand gear head who's been working on the same bike for 40 years to make it go fast.  His dream is to take it to The Bonneville Speed Trials in the salt lake basin in Utah, so he can see how fast he can push his bike with officials to bear witness.


Burt with the bike


Burt in his workshop


It's based on a real guy and the simple story is a good mix of underdog/quest/road trip/fish out of water. It's set in the 60's and I really liked the period details.  Old cars and that people were accommodating to ole Burt.  Joe said it reminded him of a kid's movie where a dog is trying to make his way home and people help him on his journey. And lots of people helped out Burt, he's a likeable old dog for sure. I appreciated Burt's DIY gumption and seeing the earlier days of racing when it was still more in the hands of enthusiastic and passionate hobbyists was refreshing. It's a feel good flick, and while I didn't have any profound revelations or overwhelming feelings about anything while I was watching, I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time with it either.  It's got a good message of pursuing your dreams that has universal appeal, and that it's about an old man going for his dream is rather unique too.  It's really appetizing for back yard mechanics and man cave Nascar types though.

I wonder if Hopkins felt like he was slumming in this?  I've heard that he thinks of movies as a way to pay bills while he really prefers doing theatre work.



No comments: